Key Provisions Of The LawHere is NYSPA's statement of support for the MEND Coalition's goals of bringing about true mental health "parity".
What’s Not Covered
- The law equates aggregate lifetime limits and annual limits for mental health benefits with aggregate lifetime limits and annual limits for medical and surgical benefits. The yearly and lifetime caps, however, are unequal.
- There is no mandate for mental health benefits in insurance plans.
- Coverage is not provided for treatment of substance abuse and chemical dependency
- There are no rules or guidelines governing out-of-pocket limits, copayments, arbitrary treatment termination, or quality of care for patients.
- The law does not apply to businesses with less than 50 employees.
- An employer can also be exempt if it can be shown that mental health parity would raise costs more than 1%.
Last Updated: Saturday, 01-Jan-2000 14:41:08 ESTCopyright © 1996-2000 Michael Fenichel, Ph.D.